THC gummies? Am I in heaven, or what? It sure does sound like a heavenly combo to me. There’s something about those sweet little teddy bears that makes me want to kick back and relax or just slow down for a bit. And when I add some THC “spice” to the mix – well let’s just say that’s one great way to make a favorite treat even better. However, fun aside, making your own THC gummies definitely has its perks beyond just a little stoner nostalgia; cannabis gummies are a great way to medicate. Why you may ask?
Why we love THC gummies?
Regular store-bought gummy bears are full of artificial sugars, flavors, and additives that aren’t healthy at all. Especially for someone who’s looking to get healthy and medicate with cannabis, the store-bought gummy bears are a big no-no. So, homemade gummy snacks can be an excellent way to get the health benefits of fresh fruit alongside the therapeutic benefits of cannabis. Plus, you may be challenged when trying to find cannabis-infused gummies in your local dispensary, simply because many states have banned gummy candies due to the presumption that they target children.
Another added bonus to this treat is the easy storage and long shelf-life. Simply make a big batch of THC gummies that will last for weeks (if you can hold yourself from eating them all immediately – not recommended though) and relax. THC gummies also make dosing more manageable as a single gummy or two should be a sufficient amount (though you’ll only know for sure through experimentation).
But perhaps the best reason to love THC gummies is that they’re a more efficient way to consume cannabis, especially when absorbed sublingually. By sucking on a gummy candy and allowing it to melt away slowly, cannabinoids can absorb directly into the bloodstream through mucosal membranes which are exceptionally dense under the tongue or between the cheek and gum. Rather than forcing cannabinoids to metabolize (which takes longer to take effect and burns up more cannabinoids in the process), cannabinoids can get right to work in a matter of minutes through sublingual absorption. So then, let’s get to the recipes and the How to’s of the THC gummies:
How to prepare your own THC gummies?
Prepping your cannabis is surely understandable or otherwise, you lose the “THC” out of the equation. To make sure your cannabis is psychoactive, you have to remove a carboxyl atom from the chemical, THCa – a process known as decarboxylation. I won’t get too technical on you, I promise. It’s much simpler than it sounds and here’s a quick video explaining the whole decarboxylation process.
Now that you have decarboxylated your cannabis, it’s time to infuse it into a tincture. This can be done by soaking marijuana in a high proof food-grade alcohol. The soaking can be from an hour to few weeks depending on how strong you want your THC gummies to be. Of course, since we are talking about THC gummies, you have to choose a THC-rich cannabis strain so you get the full TCH effect. If you only have time to leave it for an hour or so, then shake the mixture vigorously the whole time to encourage the cannabinoids to absorb into the alcohol, otherwise, if you leave it for more than few days, then a few quick shakes every day should work.
DIY THC gummies process
Time to make the gummies! Let’s begin by gathering the following supplies:
- 2/3 Cup Fruit Puree, Thawed
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 3 Tablespoons Gelatin
- 2-3 Teaspoons Cannabis Tincture (depending on the desired potency)
- Granulated Sugar
- Medicine Dropper/Condiment Bottle, Cleaned
- Silicon Molds/Baking Dish, Sprayed w/ Cooking Spray
- In a medium saucepan, add the fruit puree, water, and lemon juice and cook on medium-low heat until thoroughly incorporated
- After thoroughly combined, add 2-3 teaspoons of your cannabis tincture, whisk well
- Slowly add three tablespoons of gelatin, continually whisking until smooth
- Remove from heat then use a medicine dropper or clean condiment bottle to add the mixture to silicon molds or baking dish
- Place filled molds/dish in the refrigerator to chill for about 15 minutes
- Remove gummies from molds or cut into bite-sized pieces
- Toss gummies in granulated sugar to keep them from sticking together (add a little citric acid to your sugar at this point if you want sour gummies)
- Store in an air-tight container in a cool, dark location for up to 2-3 weeks.
Easy-peasy, right? All it takes is about 40 minutes not counting the ‘cannabis in alcohol’ part. In fact, you can change and swap many ingredients coming to the perfect taste you love the most. Here is another example of a super-easy and tasty THC gummies recipe:
Cherry, Green Tea, and THC gummies
With this dosage, you can make approx. 50 gummies. The reason why I cannot state potency is that it will vary widely depending on your tincture. You will need the following supplies:
- Food-grade condiment bottle
- Food-grade silicon gummy bear molds
- Measuring cup
- 1 oz THC tincture (Divide the total milligrams in your tincture by 50 to calculate the approximate dosage of each bear)
- 2 green tea bags
- 3 tablespoons creamed honey
- ½ cup coconut water
- ¾ cup tart cherry juice
- 1 ½ tablespoon agar-agar powder or gelatin
- ⅛ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- Pour coconut water into small saucepan. Bring to boil, then steep green tea bags in coconut water for up to 10 minutes (but no less than 4 minutes). Compost tea bags.
- Add cherry juice, salt, and creamed honey to saucepan. Stir gently until mixture is homogenous. Return mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Add agar-agar powder and whisk constantly for 3–4 minutes. (Note: The texture of agar-agar can be unsatisfying for folks used to the gelatin-based gummy bears. You can replace with gelatin, if you’d like.)
- Add your desired dosage of THC tincture (alcohol, coconut oil, or glycerin tinctures are all fine) and whisk thoroughly until fully incorporated.
- Turn off stovetop and place funnel in condiment bottle.
- Transfer gummy bear liquid to condiment bottle. Be careful! This liquid is crazy hot and you will need to work quickly.
- Using an oven mitt or hot pad, hold the bottle and squeeze liquid into the gummy bear mold.
- Transfer mold to the refrigerator and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Remove bears from tray and store in airtight container.
Enjoy one or two at a time in 30-minute intervals until the desired dosage is reached. Should a case of overconsumption occur, stay calm and make a note of your experience/dose for the next time. Also, remember that decarboxylated cannabis makes a more potent product and that sublingual application will increase its potency and speed onset time. Though you can always take more, you can’t take less, and the come-down can be lengthy so pace yourself and remember to practice safe dosing.